Goodbye, John Hughes

Graduation season is well under way and in a sense, I will be graduating as well. I graduated from high school in 2000 and then from college in 2004. I have spent the four years between college graduation and now teaching high school Spanish. First, at a very well-regarded public school in Houston and most recently at a fairly new school in the suburbs.

My experience as a teacher has been invaluable. I've learned so much about people, handling tricky situations, anticipating problems, etc. Teachers wear so many hats: educator, psychologist, mother, sister, friend, counselor, comedian, entertainer, life coach, and so on. I have nothing but the utmost respect for teachers. Well, at least those who are in the profession for the right reasons and not as a matter of convenience.

I've always had a great rapport with most of my students and have found the career to be rewarding, but I have always yearned for something more. So, after four years of teaching high school, I will be "graduating" along with the class of 2008. Graduating from one profession to another. I've been very interested in real estate for as long as I can remember. It is something I've always wanted to do and the time finally feels right. I have secured a position as a realtor at a boutique company that specializes in high end properties and will begin this summer as soon as I obtain my license. I think it will be a great fit for me. I am both excited and nervous, but mostly eager to start my new career.

Seeing as how John Hughes is responsible for the greatest teen movies of the 80's, I am using him as my metaphor for my second high school experience. Monsieur Hughes, I bid you adieu, but don't you forget about me.



No comments:

Post a Comment