One Desk, Two Ways: His and Hers

image

Ever since my buddy and High Gloss Magazine Art Production Manager, Dabney Lee chose this gorgeous Lucite and burl wood Jonathan Adler desk from Pieces for her “Lust List” in our April/May issue, I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind. The clean lines make the desk pretty timeless, but the fabulous combination of the wooden top with the Lucite legs make it quite the statement piece. Since it is neither overly feminine or masculine, I thought it might be fun to style it two ways: for him and for her.

desk2

 

desk his

{Clockwise from Top: Lizard Desk Caddy, Thomas O’Brien for Circa Lighting Kenton Desk Lamp with Metal Shade, Ace of Spades Tray, Jayson Home and Garden Rivington Chair, Wisteria Graphic Suzani-Inspired Dhurrie, Furbish Studio Jolly Roger Horn Box, Milan High-Back Espresso Chair}

For him, I chose a look that was fun and youthful, yet polished and sophisticated. This isn’t meant to be your dad’s office, but your husband might love it. I chose strong, masculine lines and a bold color palette used with restraint. I actually wish I could bring this to life for my own husband because I really like the way everything came together.

desk his2

{Clockwise from Top: “Man in the Waves” Painting by Isca Greenfield-Sanders, American Cities, Taking Aim, Field Notes Notebook, Objets d’Art by Kelly Wearstler, Bronze Fretwork Bookshelf from 1960s, ABC’s of Men’s Fashion}

I am crazy about this vintage fretwork bookshelf found via 1st Dibs. It could work just about anywhere, but an office would obviously be a natural fit. The bronze finish makes it feel a bit more masculine and less flashy than if it were chrome. The deep blue hues of the painting by Isca Greenfield-Sanders are so beautiful and set such a great tone for a working space while the books and objets by Kelly Wearstler add a touch of fun.

desk3

desk hers

 

{Clockwise from Top: Suzanne Kasler for Circa Lighting Thorton Table Lamp, Color Pencil Set with Brass Holder, Pink and Gold Lacquer Bowl, Serena and Lily Louise Chair in Night Leather, Set of 3 Ikat Notebooks, Midcentury European Carpet, Z Gallerie Eddie Chair}

For her, I decided to go with fun, bright colors, naturally! I chose pieces, such as the chairs with curvy shapes and deep colors. I also decided to use gold and brass accents for a touch of glamour. The beautiful vintage rug brings everything together and makes a big, bold statement.

desk hers2

{Clockwise from Top: “Modern Romance” by Yolanda Sanchez, Gold Leather Dictionary, Objets d’Art by Kelly Wearstler for Bergdorf Goodman, HUE by Kelly Wearstler, Chevron Mirrored Credenza, Dolce Vita Style, The Well-Lived Life, In the Spirit of Capri}

I am absolutely crazy about the mirrored chevron credenza from Circa Who in Palm Beach, Florida. It just may steal the show from the beautiful desk we’ve been focusing on. Along with some stylish books, a gold dictionary and some lovely objets d’art, it is the perfect piece for completing the glamorous look for “her office” (I wish it were mine!). So there you have it, my take on two completely different looks inspired by one fantastic piece of furniture. Which one is more your speed: his or hers?

No comments:

Post a Comment