For the Love of Magazines

mags4 We are in the midst of such an interesting time in publishing. While it has been rather unsettling (especially for those working at the magazines) with the loss of so many great publications like House & Garden, Domino, and Gourmet it is also exciting to see the new frontiers that are being explored in our digital age (Hello, Lonny!). Publishers seem to be more in tune with consumers more than ever as consumer approval is absolutely critical. Personally, I still subscribe to what my husband thinks is an obscene number of magazines. From Vogue and InStyle to House Beautiful and ELLE DECOR, I love them all. However, just as with anything else, I like some magazines much more than others. While I appreciate all of the magazines I subscribe to and read, I know that some make my heart skip a beat when I see them in my mailbox while others don’t. There are some that I’ll see on the newsstand and want to buy right away, knowing full well that my issue is probably en route to my mailbox at that moment.

mags

So, I want to know what makes some magazines resonate so much with readers while others will “just do”. It seems that everyone is thinking about this, what with the major editorial changes that recently went into effect, placing Stephen Drucker at Town & Country, Newell Turner at the helm of House Beautiful, and Dara Caponigro at Veranda.  I have loved the new direction that each of these magazines has taken and have only read positive remarks about all of them. When do you think it’s time to make a change in the direction of a magazine?

mags2

Which magazines do you subscribe to? What keeps you going back to some and not others? What things do you love to see and read about in your magazines and what could you do without? What do you think about the new crop of digital magazines like Lonny and the iPad versions of Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Glamour? While nothing will ever replace the experience of leisurely flipping through the glossy pages of a magazine, I really believe the digital editions are indicative of what’s to come. I am very interested in hearing your thoughts on the current status of magazines. This makes for such an interesting conversation. Don’t be shy! Do tell…

No comments:

Post a Comment