Houston, we have a problem.

I am a Houston girl, born and raised. There are many things I love about my city although I have been "exiled" in the suburbs for almost two years now. One of my absolute favorite things to do is drive around the city's most beautiful neighborhoods. Last summer, I wrote a post, Urban Beauty, which was devoted to my favorite place in Houston, the Museum District (Southampton, Broadacres, West University). It is home to beautiful historic homes and the most gorgeous Live Oak trees you'll ever see. You'll find a mix of stately mansions, charming cottages and bungalows, and some tasteful new homes. Unfortunately, there has been a recent infux of new McMansions being constructed on lots where beautiful old homes once stood.

It breaks my heart to see how little regard our city has for its past. Last year, it was announced that several Houston landmarks were going to be demolished so that they could be replaced with shopping strips and high-rise condominiums. While old homes have been replaced by new ones all over town for many years (The Heights, Bellaire, Memorial, etc.), I find it especially heartwrenching to think that the place that I consider to be the most beautiful in the city is changing so much.

When will Houston learn that the past should be cherished? Perhaps this is why I love cities like New York and San Francisco as much as I do. Things change there, too, but they manage to keep the historical integrity of their cities in tact. If Houston continues at this rate, what will we have left? It's shameful, really.

Here are some examples of some lovely old homes which have been torn down and replaced with new suburban-style homes.


Exhibit A Before: 1932 Cottage on beautiful North Boulevard
It angers me that it was a lovely, completely livable home with tons of charm and character, yet someone felt the need to tear it down and replace it with yet another Tuscan style house.




The Kitchen looks updated, though it seems the former owners maintained some of the original charm.



Great, original mouldings in the living room




Exhibit A After: A 4,500 square foot McMansion on a 6,000 square foot lot
As you can imagine, the interior is "Tuscan Inspired".




Exhibit B: 1938 English-Style Cottage on South Boulevard
It had so much character.




As you can see, it is on a very desirable, scenic street.




A side view of the house




Exhibit C on Albans Road
Scheduled to be demolished soon


No comments:

Post a Comment