Let There Be White

It seems that most people in my suburb are into a very standard look for their kitchens and I suspect that this is the case in most other places as well. People seem to be leaning towards ornate cabinetry in darker stains with fake greenery resting on top, busy lighting with the requisite wrought iron scrolls, and a rooster, bistro, or wine theme. Now, I don't mean to offend and I can't really judge as I have a kitchen with traditional, walnut cabinetry. This was not my choice, but I probably won't change it as this is apparently what sells in this market, though I don't have any of the aforementioned lighting or themes. I digress. We'll get to my plans for the future in a minute. It doesn't matter to me that the kitchens I speak of are located in very nice homes. The look just seems so common and literal. Sure, most of these kitchens are equipped with nice appliances and upgrades, but I can't help but think about the fact that builders and homeowners are settling for what seems to have become a rather standard look. Surely, we don't all have the same taste, right? Then, perhaps builders should offer other options so that we don't all end up with what I have started calling "The Stepford Kitchen".

In my next home, I would love to have a beautiful white kitchen. I'd like fairly plain white cabinetry (some cabinets would have glass doors), a white subway tile back splash, dark counter tops made of stained concrete or honed black granite, a large island made of honed carrara marble with Circa's Yoke Pendants in Polished Nickel hanging over it, industrial looking hardware, and stainless Viking appliances including a professional range. In my opinion, white kitchens are both classic and contemporary. I feel like it is a timeless look with a very East Coast feel, which I can't help but love. Plus, they look professional to me, which makes me want to cook, and cook well. I know I am not the only one who loves a classic white kitchen, but it sure seems that way where I live.



Exhibit A: The Stepford Kitchen



I love this kitchen! The lighting is fabulous, I love the wooden ceiling, and all of the natural light spilling in from the abundance of windows.




The Circa Yoke Pendants which I hope to own some day. I just need the perfect kitchen to put them in first. The carrara marble table and coffered ceiling are incredibly beautiful.





Beautiful cabinetry featured in Domino





Amazing carrara marble island. It's just so gorgeous, but I'd be too afraid to do an entire kitchen in it. I'm too OCD and would obsess over every little stain or flaw.




Katiedid's beautiful new kitchen complete with a carrara back splash





Classic subway tile back splash and amazing ebonized floors






I love the hardware in the background. This kitchen is featured in the current issue of Martha Stewart Living and was the inspiration behind my recent post on the color yellow.




Large, classic kitchen with a vintage vibe featured in Architectural Digest


No comments:

Post a Comment